|May 21, 2013|
• Diplomacy, Trade and Security
• Health, Education and Wellness
• Business and Economy
• Energy and Resources
• Power, Politics and Policy
• Arts, Culture and Heritage
• Science, Nature and Environment
• Sports and Recreation
• Destinations: Travel and Tourism
• Tastes: Wining and Dining
• Allure: Beauty and Style
• Down Here: Life South of the Border
• Reader Reactions
• nextinnovator (at) live.com
Feedjit Live Web Stats
News from the South
• Argentina: Buenos
• Baja California Sur
Books for Gringos
TV Marti Executive Sentenced to 27 Months for Kickbacks
Apr 19, 2007 – By VOA News
U.S. authorities say a former senior executive with government-funded TV Marti has been sentenced to 27 months in prison for unlawfully accepting payments from a company doing business with the station.
The U.S. Attorney's Office in Miami released a statement Wednesday, saying Jose Miranda was sentenced for unlawfully participating in government matters in which he had a financial interest. The statement said his prison sentence will be followed by three years of probation and that he will be fined $5,000.
Miranda was TV Marti's director of programming from 1999 until 2004. Authorities say he took $112,000 in bribes from Perfect Image Film and Video Productions between November 2001 and December 2004. He was also charged with false reporting on financial disclosure reports.
He pleaded guilty in February.
The U.S. Office of Cuba Broadcasting oversees TV Marti, which broadcasts news and information programs to Cuba, although the Cuban government attempts to block the signal.
The chief of staff for the broadcasting office, Alberto Mascaro, was quoted by the Associated Press as describing the incident involving Miranda as "unfortunate." He said that when it comes to taxpayers' dollars, there is no tolerance for that kind of behavior.
The Broadcasting Board of Governors oversees the Office of Cuba Broadcasting,
the Voice of America and all U.S. government and government-sponsored
non-military international broadcasting.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Arts, Culture and Heritage articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/14 US Embassy – Chile: Agencies Speak with One Voice: Children Are Not for Sale!
• 5/10 US Embassy – Chile: The Herschel Space Observatory Finds Milky Way Black Hole Snacking on Hot Gas
• 5/10 US Embassy – Chile: Vice President Biden Calls for Stronger Ties in Western Hemisphere
• 5/9 US Embassy – Chile: U.S. Prepares for Insect Invasion 17 Years in the Making
• 5/9 US Embassy – Chile: U.S. Increasingly Popular with Visitors
• 5/8 US Embassy – Chile: NASA Works on Long-Term Plan to Send Humans to Mars
• 5/8 US Embassy – Chile: White House on June Visit of President Piñera of Chile
• 5/7 US Embassy – Chile: Opportunity Rover Back at Work on Mars
• 5/7 US Embassy – Chile: President Obama on Improving U.S. Partnership with Latin America
• 5/6 US Embassy – Chile: Advice to Citizen Journalists: Tell the Truth, Be Yourself
• 5/6 US Embassy – Chile: Press Freedom a Human Right, Moral Necessity, U.S. Officials Say
• 5/3 US Embassy – Chile: World Press Freedom Day
• 5/1 US Embassy – Chile: The 2013 Special 301 review process examined IPR protection and enforcement in 95 trading partners
• 4/29 US Embassy – Chile: Americas Quarter Interviews U.S. President Barack Obama About Trip to Mexico and Costa Rica
• 4/22 US Embassy – Mexico: USAID Supports Mexico City Government’s Launch of a Carpooling Service for City Employees
• 4/18 US Embassy – El Salvador: Beyond the Horizons Begins Operations in Ahuachapan and Sonsonate
• 4/18 US Embassy – El Salvador: Education for Children and Youth Project Launched
• 4/17 US Embassy – Mexico: U.S. Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Laura Dogu Hosts American School Foundation’s 125th Anniversary Celebration
• 4/10 US Embassy – Mexico: CBP Enrolls Members of Mexican Legislative Branch in Global Entry
• 4/9 NicaNet: Nicaragua Climate Change Delegation
• 4/9 NicaNet: Motorcycle law to be enforced
• 4/9 NicaNet: Causes of dolphin deaths determined
• 4/9 NicaNet: Causes of dolphin deaths determined
• 4/9 NicaNet: More facts emerge about Solka case
• 4/9 NicaNet: Indigenous Parliament of America meets in Managua
• 4/9 NicaNet: Rainforest preservation receives increased attention
• 4/9 NicaNet: Sandinista government continues programs expanding peasant agriculture
• 4/9 NicaNet: US extends Temporary Protective Status to Nicaraguans in United States
• 4/9 NicaNet: Waiver “very probable” according to Ambassador Powers
• 4/9 NicaNet: Central American presidents to welcome Obama at SICA summit
• 4/9 US Embassy – Mexico: Treasury Designates Honduran Drug Traffickers
• 4/4 US Embassy – Mexico: U.S. Embassy Welcomes Illinois Governor Quinn and Trade Mission to Mexico
• 4/3 US Embassy – Mexico: Secretary of Economy Ildefonso Guajardo and Ambassador Wayne Inaugurate ITAM and Stanford “FoCUS” Summit
• 4/2 NicaNet: Dead fish and dolphins appear on beaches
• 4/2 NicaNet: Smithsonian to exhibit Central American ceramics
• 4/2 NicaNet: Federal court in Florida rules against government of Nicaragua
• 4/2 NicaNet: Brownfield says “Welcome” to Russians, but…
• 4/2 NicaNet: Law against Violence toward Women challenged and defended
• 4/2 NicaNet: World Bank funds next phase of property titling
• 4/2 NicaNet: Nicaraguans commemorate Holy Week and Easter
• 4/2 US Embassy – Mexico: Panel Discussion on Higher Education between US Ambassador Anthony Wayne, SRE Undersecretary Sergio Alcocer, and UNAM Rector Dr. José Narro Robles
• 4/1 NicaNet: Dance Troop Tour from Nicaragua!
• 3/27 Ovum’s Peter Ryan Named Most Influential Analyst for LATAM Nearshore Outsourcing
• 3/27 US Embassy – Mexico: U.S. Ambassador Wayne Promotes Education During Yucatan Visit
• 3/27 US Embassy – Mexico: U.S. Ambassador Wayne Meets with Governor Rolando Zapata Bello of Yucatan to Promote Shared Interests
• 3/27 How to Start a Revolution (Latin America): Cómo iniciar una Revolución / Como começar uma revolução / Kouman kòmanse yon Revolisyon
• 3/26 NicaNet: New maternity waiting homesto be built
• 3/26 NicaNet: Iceland helped develop capacity for geothermal energy production